Clough Hall Bowling Club was founded in 1906. It is located at the rear of 58, Clough Hall Road, Kidsgrove, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, ST7 1AW.
The bowling green is owned by the club and manages its own affairs including the maintenance and cutting of the green.It relies on income from members' subscriptions, sponsors, raffles, refreshment sales and race nights. It celebrated it's Centenary in 2006.
The formal opening of the bowling green took place on 23 May 1895. Mr E.H Griffiths J.P trundled the jack at 4.00pm.
* · The Club Clough Hall Bowling Club Was Founded. 1906.
* · Colonel Dobson Donated The Dobson CupAnd The First Winner Was Mr. E. Millington. 1906.
* · Photograph Of Club Members Presented To Mr. Alf. Paskin. 1913.
* · Round Pegs Handicap Won By Mr. J. Holland And The Runner Up Was Mr. H. Hall (In Aid Of Club Funds). 1917.
* · Whist Drive And Dance In Aid Of Club Funds. 1919.
* · Joined Stoke-On-Trent Parks League. 1920.
* · Withdrew From Thursday Section. 1920.
* · Whist Drive And Dance In Aid Of Club Funds. 1920.
* · Resigned From Stoke-On-Trent Parks League. 1923
* · Champions Of Staffs And Cheshire Border League. 1930.
* · Winners Of Alsager Mid Week League. 1930/31/32/33.
* · Mr. J. Chambers Retires From Captaincy After 11 Years. 1933.
* · Unemployed Handicap To Raise Club Funds. 1934.
* · The rateable value of the bowling green assessed at £1 on 21 June 1934 by Newcastle-under-Lyme, Assessment Committee, Croft Street, Newcastle, staffs.
* · Resigned From Staffs And Cheshire Borders League. 1935.
* · Club's application to affiliate to the Staffordshire Parks Amateur Bowling Association is accepted at the Association Headquarters, Albion Hotel, Hanley on January 2nd 1935. The affiliation fee of 10/6d was duly paid.
* · Ten Shillings rent paid to Parkers Brewery. 1936 * · New Rules Submitted To A.G.M. And Passed For 1938 Season. 1937.
* The income from member's subscriptions in 1937 was £15-11-00d and the arreas from 1936 was 9 shillings.
* Club purchases hut from Mr Arthur Archer (Who kept the Park Stores) for the sum of £15. 1938
* · Promoted To A Section Of League. 1940.
* · Mr. F. Skellern Played In All League Matches And Won Every Game. 1941.
* · £5.00 Winnings As A League Prize. 1942.
* · Won Championship Of B Section Of Parks B League. 1945.
* · Staffs & Cheshire Borders League Request That We Hold The Kerrisley Cup For Them 1947. The Club Used It For Club Competitions, And This Was First Won By Mr. A. Cooke. 1947.
* · Mr. A. Cooke Selected To Play In Match Parks Versus Amateur League 1950.
* · Special A.G.M. Called At Clough Hall Hotel To Authorise Purchase Of Bowling Green From Parkers Burslem Brewery Ltd. 1950.
* · Bowling Green Purchased For The Sum Of £87.10.0d With Loan Of £5 From 20 Members In March. 1951.
* · Mr. E. Rawlinson First Winner Of Birchall Cup 1951.
* · Mr. A. Brewood Wins Festival Of British Tournament. 1951.
* · Jumble Sale Organised By Mr. H. Hall. 1952.
* · Coronation Plaque Won By Mr. W. Hancock, Runner Up For Mr. F. Cooper. 1953.
* · Mr L. Dale Wins Alfred Birchall Cup 1953.
* · Dancing Display By Miss Sherritt. 1952/1953.
* · Dance Organised By Mrs J. Mountford Which Was The Forerunner Of The Social Evening. 1954.
* · Club Reached Semi Finals Of F.S. Jones Cup, Being Beaten By Wolstanton Park 178 - 154. 1995.
* · Mr. H Jones Extends The Green. 1955.
* · Mr. & Mrs. A Brewood Presents The Brewood Cup Which Was Won By Mr W. Sandham. 1960.
* · B Team Won The Championship Of The Northern B Section Of The Parks League. 1960.
* · Presentation Of A Transistor Radio To Mr. C. Bickerton For Services To The Club From 1938. 1961
* · Mr. C. Bickerton Presents A Seat Made Of Teak To The Club. 1962.
* · Mr. W. Sandham Elected Auditor To S.P.A.B.A. 1963.
* · Winners Of Kidsgrove Friendly Trophy. 1963.
* · Tender By Eric Young (£265) Accepted For Building Of New Wooden Pavilion. Mrs. A. Brewood Opens New Pavillion. 1964.
* · Mrs. A. Mills Plays For A.B.A. 1964.
* · Mr. L. Dale Wins Birchall Cup 1964.
* · Winners Of Kidsgrove Friendly Trophy. 1965.
* · Mr W. Yates Wins All Club Trophies, Dobson, Kerrisley And Brewood Cups. 1965.
* · Eight-Day Clock Presented To Mr. W. Sandham. 1965.
* · Mr. & Mrs. F. Bowyer Present Bowyer Cup To The Club 1965, Which Was Won By Mr. W. Yates And Mr. D. Hughes. 1965.
* · Winners Of Kidsgrove Friendly Trophy. 1966.
* · A* Team Gain Promotion To Section 1 Of A Section. 1966.
* · Winners Of Kidsgrove Friendly Trophy. 1967/1968.
* · Mr. & Mrs. H. Heath Present Heath Trophy To Club 1969, Which Was Won For The First Time By R. A. Challinor. 1970.
* · Water Is Laid Onto The Green. 1971.
* · Mr. M. Harvey Wins Three Of The Club Trophies, Dobson, Kerrisley And Bowyer Cups. 1971.
* · Jumble Sale. 1971.
* · Presentation Of A Seat To The Memory Of Mr. W. Sandham By Club Members. 1973.
* · Rejoin Alsager Mid-Week League. 1973.
* · Champions Of S.P.A.B.A. Division 3 A League. 1973.
* · Bowyer & Heath Trophies To Be Used As Average Prize. 1974.
* · Mrs. T. Bourne Presents T. Bourne Cup In Memory Of Her Husband. 1974.
* · Runners Up In Alsager Mid-Week League. 1974.
* · Joined The Stoke-On-Trent League. 1975.
* · Mr. J. Hancock Semi-Finalist In Alsager Individual Merits. 1975.
* · Presentation Of Clock To Mark Mr. A. Brewood 80th Birthday. 1976.
* · Champions Of S.P.A.B.A. Division 2 B Team To Club. 1976.
* · Mr. & Mrs. A. Brewood Presents Photograph Of B Team To Club. 1977.
* · Withdrew From Stoke-On-Trent League. 1978/1979.
* · Club Hold Exhibition And Slide Show. 1978.
* · Blue Bell Bowling Club Donate A Cup To The Club, The Bowyer Trophy 1980.
* · The Kidsgrove Friendly Trophy To Be Used As The Alsager Mid-Week League B Team Average Prize. 1980.
* · The 75th Annual General Meeting Is Held. 1980.
* John Gibbs is presented with a wrist watch at the Annual Dinner following his retirement as Greensman (March 1980)
* · The Alsager Mid-Week Team Gain Promotion From Division 3 As Runners Up. 1982.
* · 90 Years Since C.H.B.C. Was Open To The Public. 1982.
* · Mrs.M. Holt Donates A Trophy In Memory Of Marshall Holt. 1983.
* · Rent For The Extra Land That The Pavillion Stands On Is £0.05p Per Year Payable To The Local Authority. As It Had Cost 12½P Postage To Send A Bill For £0.05p, The Treasurer Asked The Authority If It Could Be Paid As A Lump Sum Every Few Years. The Authority Agreed To 10 Years In Advance. The Sum Of £0.50p Had Been Paid 1982 - 1992. To Buy The Land The Quote Was £200.00 Plus Legal Fees. 1983.
* · Club Wins The Ernest Broadgate Memorial Trophy In The Alsager Mid-Week League. 1984.
* · Mr. Stan Jones Donates A New Cooker. Units Given By Mr. W. Ward And Mr. W. Rowley. Fitted By Mr. E. Young And Mr. J. Brooks. 1984.
* · The A.G.M. Decide On A New Office Of Senior Vice President. 1984.
* · The Late John Anslow Donates Money For The Purchase Of A Trophy To Be Named The John Anslow Trophy . 1985.
* · The 80th Annual General Meeting Is Held. 1985.
* · The Alsager Mid Week Team Gains Promotion From Division Two As Champions. 1985.
* · Path And Gutters Are Replaced At West Side Of The Green. 1986.
* · Path Is Replaced On The East Side Of The Green. 1987.
* · New Merit Competition Rules Become Effective. 1987.
* · 95 Years Since C.H.B.C. Was Open To The Public. 1987.
* · Club Handicaps Are Competed For On A Sunday Instead Of Mid-Week. 1987.
* · The A.G.M. Decide That The Bowling Green Will Be Opened Each Year On The First Saturday In April Or On Easter Saturday, Which Ever Falls First In That Year. 1987.
* · Senior Citizens Will Be Classed As Retired Citizens. 1987.
* · Club Enter A Second Team In The Alsager Mid-Week League. 1988.
* · Path And Gutters Are Replaced At North Side Of Green. 1988.
* · A Portaloo Is Purchased With The Assistance Of A Grant From The Sports Council. 1988.
* · Path And Gutters Are Replaced At South Side Of Green. 1989.
* · The Entire Green Is Hollow Tyned By Hand.
* · Club Notice Of Motion To S.P.M.B.A. For The F. S. Jones Cup And H. Stubbs Cup To Be Competed For On A Handicap System Is Accepted. 1989/1990.
* · Fund Raising Committee Is Formed. 1989/90.
* · Club Hold An Open Mixed Competition On Thursday Afternoons Prior To Start Of Season. 1990.
* · Car Boot Sale Is Held At The Red Bull Hotel To Raise Funds. 1990.
* · Grand Easter Draw Is Held To Boost Funds. Prizes Donated By Local Traders. Organised By Mr H. Barnett.
* · Replacement Of Drains Under Bowling Green. 1990.
* · A Stone Wall Is Erected On South Side Of Green. 1990.
* · A Reconditioned Mower Is Purchased For £700. 1991.
* · A Stone Wall Is Erected On South West Side Of Green. 1991.
* · Howard Evans Donates Trophy To Club.
* · Players Competing In Any Bowls Competition From 1992 Would Have To Obtain Life Membership Cards From B.C.G.B.A. Cost £1.20 Each.
* · New Yellow Jacks Purchased From Thomas Taylor (Bowls) Limited, Glasgow.
* · Application Submitted To Foundation For Sport And The Arts For New Club Pavillion. 1992.
* · Doris Barnett Donates Money To Club As A Gift. Decided To Purchase A Cup In Memory Of Harold, Engraved As The Harold Barnett Cup. Doris Also Donated Rose Trees And A Seat. 1993.
* · A New Mower Is Purchased - Ransomes Super Bowl Model 51. A Grant Of £250 Towards The Cost Was Obtained From Newcastle Sports Council. 1993.
* · Club Pavillion Re-Roofed. 1993.
* · New Brick Storage Shed Is Erected. A Grant Of £250 Towards The Cost Was Obtained From Newcastle Sports Council. 1994.
* · M. & S. Trophies Donate Shield To The Club.
* · Club Elect To Have An Electricity Supply Installed. 1995.
* · A.G.M. Decides On New Office Of Subscription Secretary. 1995.
* · A Stone Wall Is Erected On West Side Of Green. 1996.
* · A New Driveway Is Made. 1996.
* · Floodlighting Is Erected. A Grant Of £750 Towards The Cost Was Obtained From Newcastle Sports Council. A Grant Of £100 Was Also Obtained From The Crown Green Bowling Association. To Mark The Event In Its History, The Club Invited The Chairman And Vice Chairman Of Newcastle-Under-Lyme Sports Council, Mr R. Lane And Mr V. Finnimore Respectively, And Its Executive Members And Potential New Members To Attend At The Bowling Green On Tuesday 1st April 1997, At 7.30pm.
* ·A* Team Champions Of Staffs Parks Saturday, League Div. 1 By 8 Points. As A Result Gain Entry Into British Parks 34th Inter Count Club Competition At Rochdale, Only To lose In Semi Finals Against Eventual Winners Hillsborough. 1997.
* · Double Gates And New Fencing Erected. 1998.
* · A Grant Of £250.00 Awarded By Newcastle Borough Council Local Agenda 21 - Environmental Green Grant To Plant Shrubs To Form A Hedge At Top Of Green. 1999.
* · A* Team Resign From Staffs Parks Sat League And Enter North Staffs Amateur League For 2000 Season.
* · A New Set Of 4 Match Standard White Jacks Purchased. (2000).
* · A New Hollow Tyning Machine Is Purchased Costing Nearly * £1000. (2000)
* · A New Crown Is Raised On The Bowling Green. (2000)
* · A New Portaloo Is Purchased And Erected Costing * £1317.99. The Newcastle-Under-Lyme Sports Council Awards A Grant Of * £300. (2001/2002).
* · Len Dale Landscapes The Bankside. (2001)
* · Peter Sandham Donates £400 To The Club. The Committee Approve The Purchase Of A Seat (Beckbury Classic 3 Seater) From Garners Garden Centre At Newcastle. Engraved, Presented By Peter Sandham 2002 In Memory Of Nora And Bill Sandham.
* · A Race Night Is Held At The Masonic. Over 800 Pounds Was Raised For Club Funds. March (2002
* · A Race Night Is Held At Celestica Club Raising Over 700 Pounds For Club Funds (November 2002).
* · Club Wins Sentinel Men Bowls Cup Competition For The First Time Beating Middleport Park No1 By 179 To 166 At Fegg Hayes. Brian Clarence Was Declared Man Of The Match. (2002)
* · Club Wins F.S. Jones Cup For The First Time Beating Audley At Alsager Institute (2002).
* · Club Features In The Sentinel The Way We Were Magazine, Number 88, December 2002 Edition.
* · Roof And Vertical Cladding Are Added To The ClubTimber Pavillion. Work Done By Austin Cladding & Ceiling Services To The Value Of £1300. (2003)
* · A Grant Is Obtained From Newcastle Borough Council, Community Chest Project Award To The Value Of £380 Towards A Bench, Which Was Obtained From Gardners Garden Centre. (2003)
* · Len Dale Landscapes The Garden At The Top Of The Green. New Turf Laid. (2003).
* · Club Again Wins The Sentinel Mens Bowls Competition By Beating Birches Head Hotel B.C. Ivan Baker Collected The Man Of The Match Award. (2003)
* · Club Wins The Junior Cup For The First Time By Beating Middleport Park B.C. (2003)
* · County Match Is Held At The Green For The First Time In The Clubs History. Potteries & District Versus South Yorkshire. A Midland Alliance Reserve County Match Was Held On The Green A Week Later. (2003)
* · A grant is awarded from Newcastle Borough Council Community Chest Project Award Scheme to the value of £220.00 in respect of the installation of a new water heater. (2004).
* · Club reaches the final again of the Sentinel Mens Bowling Competition but fails to make it 3 wins in a row when Birches Head Hotel beat us at London Road. (2004).
Mr Andrew Dimelow retires from the position of Honorary Treasurer after serving the club for 17 years. (2004)
. Sunday 14 May 2006, club holds 'Open Day' as part of the celebrations. Charlotte Atkins, Labour M.P for Staffordshire Moorlands is our invited guest. Official photograph session of its members took place.
. British Parks Veterans County Championship match between North Staffordshire and Yorkshire is held on our green on Sunday 18 June 2006.
. The club held a centenary 'Open' Tournament in June/July 2006 and produced a souvenir glossy programme listing a brief history of the club from 1906 - 2006. The presentation of prize money was performed by our honoured guest, Margaret Astle, County Councillor, Kidsgrove Town Councillor, Newcastle Councillor and Former Mayor of Kidsgove. The winner of the Tournament was Paul Phillips (Alsager Institute B.C) who received £600. Runner up £250, Losing Semi £100. Losing Quarter £50. Lasy sixteen £25.
BBC Midlands television covered the final.
. Newcastle Borough Council awards a grant of £250 from the Community Chest for new worktops and cupboards in the club pavillion. (2006)
. Club wins F.S. Jones Cup by beating Cheadle B.C at Oakhill (2006)
.Club wins Gerald Harrison Memorial Trophy (Junior Cup) by beating Middleport Park 189 to 142. The final was played at Milton Recreational B.C. The man of the match award went to Clough Hall's Ray Williams who beat Arnie Maxwell 21 - 1. This is the second time Clough Hall have won the trophy.(Tues 24 July 2007).
. Mr Michael R. Nield retires as Honorary Secretary after serving the club for the past 21 years. He is rewarded with Life Membership. (2007).
. Mr Andrew Dimelow is awarded Honorary Life Membership of the Club. (2008)
. Newcastle-under-Lyme Sports Council present a certificate to Michael Nield in recognition of his sporting achievements in the Administration category. (22 May 2008).
. Club enters Staffs Parks Friday Night Male 6 a side League. (2009)
Club wins F.S. Jones Cup by beating Meir Social 194 - 188 at London Road. (2009)
Club emerge victorious in the final of the James Birks Knockout Cup with a 192 - 160 win over Meir Social and Sports Club. Captain Ivan Baker received the trophy from Eunice Birks. (2009)
. Derek Cross and Brian Timmis are made Senior Members of the Club (2009)
. Club withdraws A team from the Sandbach & District league and re-enters the Congleton & District League (2010).
. Club is awarded £10,000 lottery funding for new toilet compartments,septic tank and fencing. (2010)